St. James Episcopal Church
1134 Columbia St.
Cathlamet, WA 98612
Newsletter- May, 2018
Dear Friends in Christ,
The Castle Rock Men’s Choir came to St. James yesterday, and it was a wonderful performance, full of music and spirit and faith. How fortunate we are that there are such people in the world, who have a gift and want to use it, and do not want to be paid for it. There is a freedom that comes from being willing to share one’s gifts without reservation, and it showed in their joyful music yesterday.
During Easter season we frequently read passages from the book of Acts, which recounts the life of the early church when Jesus’ closest followers were alive. They too shared their gifts and their knowledge of Jesus and his Way, without reservation. Because of their faith and strength of character, we have inherited Christ’s church from them, passed down from generation to generation by others who shared their message and their gifts.
As we look to new leadership at St. James, let us not forget that each of has gifts to share and a part to play in passing on the way of love, peace and joy that Jesus showed us. Eastertide expresses itself in many ways, and one of those is the understanding that we live our lives in the expectation of resurrection, and that, indeed, we are already in our eternal lives. Alleluia!
In God’s love,
Come and join us at 10am… children join the congregation midway through the service…..
Christie is saving manufacturer’s coupons for our service men and women. It doesn’t matter if they are expired… Please cut them out and give them to Christie, or you can put them in her mail box.
Sally has completed the instructor requirements for “Safeguarding God’s People”. We will schedule a time for the course, look for date and time.
Irene was working on updating our church mailing list, but lost the document in the fire at her home. There will be a mailing list available the next couple of weeks at church so you can add any changes that have taken place in your address/phone number/email. Alternatively, please email Irene with any new information, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Month/Yr May 2018
Date Altar Flowers Reader Host Sunday Music Celebrant/
Guild/Serve Family School
PLEASE REMEMBER THESE PEOPLE IN YOUR PRAYERS
Sally, eye problems
Mark, chronic headache healing
Rick, healing cancer
David – massive brain tumor.
Bob healing cancer
Gerry, JoAnn, Christie and others healing from chemical allergies
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD SOMEONE…
Name of person Reason Person requesting How long to keep on the list
Let’s also pray for peace and for all of our men and women in the service at home or abroad, and for our veterans.
If you have added someone to the list above please let me know when they can be dropped from the list at my email- email@example.com.
St. James Church Vestry Meeting, April 8, 2018
Attendance: Gerry, DonDena, Michael, Cathy, JoAnn, Joan, Lois, Sally, Maureen
Gerry opened with a prayer
Minutes of last meeting were accepted as sent out
Financial report was accepted as presented
- Garden stakes- Jacquey had said that this might be a project for the high school ffa class…Craig has been replacing the stakes one at a time.
- Feb minutes – 60th anniversary of building. Gerry read Irene’s history of our church said 1961… so date was wrong it is not anniversary this year
- Castle Rock Men’s Ensemble will be performing on April 29 we need to provide lots of desserts…
- Gerry reminded us that as a church we have chosen to leave work and politics outside these walls… so we don’t ask about people’s work or business questions… everyone should feel they can come to church to be refreshed, not answer tax questions, for example.
- Discussion of email JoAnn got from the Diocese about building inspection. JoAnn, Gerry, and Irene will answer with the new construction with the corresponding inspections, Jim Campbell came and did a building inspection… plus we cannot afford the cost of an outside inspection.
- Thank you from Bishop Greg on our donation to his discretionary fund
- JoAnn is performing a wedding, what is cost for outside people. Consensus it should be a donation.
May 6- Easter 6
1 John 5:1-6
May 13 – Easter 7
1 John 5:9-13
May 20 – Pentecost
May 27 – Trinity Sunday